Canadian Government Offers National Volunteer Award
(Dec. 19, 2005) Social Development Canada is now accepting nominations for the Therese Casgrain Volunteer Award, which annually honors one man and one woman for their volunteer and philanthropic efforts.
The award, launched in 2001, the International Year of Volunteers, commemorates the life and work of Therese Casgrain. A native of Montreal, Casgrain was a leader in numerous social causes promoting equality and justice, including the women's right movement in Canada. She founded and was later president of the Quebec League of Women's Rights and helped Quebec women gain the right to vote in 1940. She was appointed to the Senate in 1970 and became a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1974.
Each honoree receives a bronze medallion bearing the likeness of Therese Casgrain, a lapel pin and a certificate of recognition. He or she also will be able to designate one Canadian voluntary organization to receive $5,000.
How to Apply
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They must be Canadian citizens
- There is evidence that the spirit of volunteerism has played a significant role throughout their lifetimes
- Their volunteer efforts have enabled fellow Canadians to participate in the workplace and/or their communities
- They have demonstrated leadership, creativity, cooperation and hard work in advancing a social cause
- They have created effective partnerships with the public, voluntary sector, local communities and/or governments
An applicant must be sponsored by either an organization or by three individuals (a sponsor and two co-sponsors, none of whom can be related to the candidate). Posthumous nominations will not be considered.
The application must include the following:
- Name, address and telephone number of the candidate
- A personal release and consent form, signed by the candidate
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of the sponsors and co-sponsors
- A detailed description of the candidate's accomplishments under each of the criteria, including relevant documents such as publications, letters of support, awards and press clippings
Nominations should be sent to:
Therese Casgrain Volunteer Award Secretariat Social Development Canada 140 Promenade du Portage, Phase IV, 5th Floor Gatineau, QC K1A 0J9
Click here for more information, including a nomination form.